The Sainte-Chapelle puzzles

21 September 2020

Can you recompose the most beautiful photos of the Sainte-Chapelle?

Play thanks to the jigsaw application!

Let's start with the Reliquary Tribune!

The holy relics were housed in a large gilded reliquary ("grande chasse") installed on the tribune in the apse of the upper chapel. The tribune of the relics was constructed after the consecration of the chapel in 1248 and before 1267.

Crédit photographie: Vue en contre-plongée de l'abside de la chapelle-haute et la tribune des reliques © Pascal Lemaître / Centre des monuments nationaux

The apse of the lower chapel.

The apse of the lower chapel is lit by windows with two lancets. The stained glass windows date from the 19th century. The two black columns, in the center are reinforcements added to support the tribune of the relics of the upper chapel.

Crédit photographie: Voûte de l'abside de la chapelle-basse © Romaric Pech / Centre des monuments nationaux

The western portal.

The western portal gave the king direct access to the upper chapel from his apartments. Damaged during the 18th century Revolution, this portal was completely restored by the workshop of the sculptor Geoffroy Dechaume around 1850. In the tympanum one can see "the last judgment", Christ is seated and shows his wounds from the crucifixion, he is surrounded by two angels who hold instruments of the Passion, the nails and the cross.

Crédit photographie: Sainte-Chapelle de Paris, chapelle haute, portail du Jugement dernier Copyright © David Bordes / Centre des monuments nationaux

The Western Rose.

The large rose window that pierces the top of the western facade has the Apocalypse as its theme. This vision of the end of time, transcribed by Saint John, puts an end to the New Testament. The current rose was reconstructed at the end of the 15th century and replaces the original rose which dealt with the same subject. The composition is organized radiating out from the central of the rose. Christ appears seated on a rainbow, the sword of truth passing through his mouth, he blesses Saint John who is kneeling at his feet, on the lower left.

Crédit photographie: La grande rose occidentale de la Sainte-Chapelle © Pascal Lemaître / Centre des monuments nationaux

The floor tiles of the upper chapel.

These two tiles in the upper chapel represent the rivers of Paradise. In 1856 the architects in charge of the restoration of the Sainte-Chapelle commissioned the painter Louis Steinheil to create the new floor. It was the architect Boeswillwald who installed the hard stone slabs inlaid with various patterns.

Crédit photographie: Carreaux de pavage © Benjamin Gavaudo : Centre des monuments nationaux

The spire of the Sainte-Chapelle

The current spire of the monument, built between 1853 and 1855, is the fifth since the consecration of the Sainte-Chapelle in the 13th century. The angels positioned at the base of the spire sound trumpets or hold the instruments of the Passion of Christ. Golden Fleur-de-Lis are depicted on the flanks of the spire.

Crédit photographie © Bernard Acloque /Centre des monuments nationaux

The floor tiles of the upper chapel N ° 2

The paving of the floor was designed in the 19th century by the architect Lassus from drawings by Steinheil, but produced by Bœswillwald. It consists of engraved hard stone, encrusted with mastics of various colors. The two tiles presented here represent the Fleur-de-Lis, symbol of the French monarchy, and the castles of Castile, homeland of the Queen Mother Blanche de Castile

Crédit photographie: Carreaux de pavage © Benjamin Gavaudo : Centre des monuments nationaux

Funeral slabs of the Sainte-Chapelle

Until 1791, the lower chapel of Sainte-Chapelle was the seat of one of the parishes of the diocese of Paris, it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and open to staff and residents of the Palais de la Cité.

From the end of the 13th century, treasurers, canons and other personnels of the Sainte-Chapelle were buried in the lower chapel, the floor of which is therefore almost entirely paved with funerary slabs.

The Sainte-Chapelle is also the only Parisian building to have preserved its funerary slabs in situ. Degraded by the thousands of visitors, today they are covered with a concrete screed for protection.

We hope that visitors will be able to admire the slabs after the extensive restoration campaign of the monument, which has been underway since 2008.

On the left, the funerary slab of Guillaume Bélier, who died in 1418; on the right, the funerary slab of a canon.

Crédit photographies ©Philippe Berthé/CMN

The upper chapel

Beyond its daring and innovative design, what amazes at first glance is the harmonious combination of a feeling of lightness and immersion in a universe of gold and colour. Spread over fifteen windows, more than a thousand scenes come alive in the light and relate in the nave, the history of the chosen people, and in the choir, that of Christ enlightened by the prophets. The narration leads to future times represented in the great rose of the Apocalypse.

Crédit photographie © Romaric Pech / Centre des monuments nationaux.

The Lord's Supper (Last Supper)

Christ's last meal with his apostles shortly before his arrest on the eve of his crucifixion. Notice the little demon sitting on the shoulder of one of the apostles, is that Judas's?

Stained glass window from the 13th century. Panel of the left lancet of the Passion of Christ bay (bay H) of the upper chapel.

Crédit photographie © Benjamin Gavaudo / Centre des monuments nationaux

The fauna of the Sainte-Chapelle

Floor tiles of the upper chapel showing a wolf and a parrot.

Crédit photographie © Benjamin Gavaudo / Centre des monuments nationaux

MenuFermer le menu